Sunday, February 24, 2013

Fondue Fun

The other week I was preparing for a Fondue Party that I hosted at my cabin for a ladies group.  I will share how all of that started in a future blog but today I want to share my party with you.  

I had never made fondue before, but I DID have a fondue pot.  It was a Christmas gift that I had asked for a couple of years ago.  It was great to finally have a reason to pull it out of storage.

One of the ladies in the group made a chocolate fondue.  YUMMMMM! 




The whole cabin smelled of chocolate as this simmered.  Oh - what a wonderful smell.  

I made the cheese fondue.  


I think it is funny that it looks like a face.  If I had noticed earlier, I would have fixed that face to look a little happier.  Oh well.  It tasted good.

The ladies each brought something to dip in the fondues.  This is the chocolate table.



And this is the cheese table.


Since I had never been to a Fondue Party, let alone hosted one - or even HAD Fondue, I decided to do a little research on Fondue Parties.  I started with this great PDF by Martha Stewart.  In it she gives tips on the proper etiquette, things that are good with Fondue and some recipes.

I found the recipe for the Cheese Fondue online.  I chose the top one in the Google search.  It seemed to be the easiest for me to gather ingredients for.  Of course, had I prepared a bit further ahead (I knew about this for 3 weeks), I may have done more research (or maybe not).  The recipe can be found here.

One of the things I want to include in the Ladies Group is an activity.  Since Fondue, I felt, was an activity all by itself, I needed to create something simple.  I found a blog where someone played a game.  Anyone who dropped their food into the pot had to answer a question.  LOVED it. 

I proceeded to find questions (more googling).  I wanted questions that helped us get to know each other without making anyone feel embarrassed or uncomfortable.  I actually avoid parties where there may be games that make one (mainly me) look foolish or stupid so I decided I can't be alone with this feeling.  

I found great "Ice Breaker" questions at several different websites.  I actually copied and pasted questions from several sites as a document, but if you prefer, you can find ready to print questions here.

I wanted to use some questions that weren't part of that beautifully done PDF so I had to come up with my own thing.  I wanted all of the questions to be the same size.  I thought about using old playing cards but decided that might be more work than I was ready for.  

As I was digging for ideas, I came across some scrapbook paper that was about 4x4 in size.  They came in a pack of scraps for embellishing the scrapbook albums that I've not had the time to work on for a couple of years now.  


I had several different sizes . . .


and colors.


I decided to write the questions on the smaller pieces of paper and adhere them to the 4x4.


I had some fun with the colorful papers.  It's been a while since I've done any paper crafting.  It was fun to create again.  I need to do it more often.


I even added extra embellishments to some of them.  Here they are in the basket.  I had a basket of cards at each fondue pot.  We only got through a few questions.  I found that the questions would often lead to other questions from the ladies themselves which began a conversation that allowed the ladies to get to know one another.


I've been trying to decide what activity to do for our March get together.  If inspiration doesn't come, I may just pull the baskets out of the closet and see where the conversation goes again.

Have any of you had a Fondue Party?  Did you play a game?  What did you do?  What did you serve with your fondue?  


4 comments:

  1. I was hoping for your list of questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I didn't post them because they weren't mine. I found them by doing a search for ice breaker questions.

      Delete
  2. Awe was wanting to see questions. Thanks for saying how to get them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Sorry. Since they weren't my questions, I just couldn't. I hope you found some great questions from the lists. Our group enjoyed them but we never got through many because they wanted to talk in length about the first one . . .then the second one . . . guess it worked :) LOL

      Delete